5G Technology and Its Benefits
What is 5G technology?
Basically, 5G technology is the upcoming fifth-generation wireless broadband technology based on the IEEE 802.11ac standard. 5G will be much faster than 4G LTE as it will use 5Ghz signal. Theoretically, it is supposed to offer a speed of 1Gb/s which will definitely be a great advantage to the internet users. Apart from that 5G will open a broader scope of communication technology.
According to Nokia, “5G will create opportunities for every industry. Combining network speeds of more than 10 Gbps with extremely low latency, it will be the driving force behind new massive broadband applications. 5G will provide a growth platform for many industries, including IT, automotive, entertainment, health, and manufacturing.”
Benefits of 5G
- Data rates of tens of megabits per second for tens of thousands of users
- Data rates of 100 megabits per second for metropolitan areas
- 1 Gb per second simultaneously to many workers on the same office floor
- Several hundreds of thousands of simultaneous connections for wireless sensors
- Spectral efficiency significantly enhanced compared to 4G
- Coverage improved
- Signaling efficiency enhanced
- Latency reduced significantly compared to LTE.
Development of 5G
On June 28, 2017, at Mobile World Congress Shanghai 2017, China Mobile, SAIC Motor, and Huawei Technologies jointly demoed the world’s first 5G-based remote driving technology with a consumer car.
Mr. Takehiro Nakamura, General Manager of NTT DOCOMO’s 5G Laboratory said, “The successful field tests and showcase of the real-time 3-way 4K video conference conducted at 39 GHz high-frequency band technology is an important achievement of the 5G joint innovation and field trial between Huawei and DOCOMO, which we will push forward for the development of 5G industry collaborating with Huawei.”
Though development of 5G is being led by several companies like Nokia, Samsung, Huawei, Intel, Ericsson, 5G will take up to 2020 to get launched worldwide.